Protein powders are just a nutritional supplement for the body. They are a convenient source of complete, high-quality protein. So it is helpful for ordinary athletes and those who want to amp up their daily workout routines.
Protein powder supplementation can help you feel full, longer. This reduces the need to eat more and snack between meals, ultimately leading to weight loss (1).
Whey protein is the most popular form of protein powder supplement but for those who are vegan and those with allergy issues, many organic plant-based protein powders have been developed to cater to that crowd.
This is our list of the best 6 organic plant-based protein powder supplements available, from which one can choose from.
Our Best Picks
1. Best Peanut Butter Flavoured Organic Protein Powder– PBfit All-Natural Organic Peanut Butter Powder
2. Best Low-Sugar Organic Protein Powder– Garden of Life Meal Replacement – Organic Raw Plant-Based Protein Powder
3. Best Organic Protein Blend – Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein + Superfoods Powder, Vanilla Bean
4. Best Tasting Organic Protein Powder– KOS Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder, Vanilla
5. Best High Fiber Organic Protein Powder– Vega One Organic Meal Replacement Plant-Based Protein Powder, French Vanilla
6. The Best Overall Organic Protein Powder– Performance Lab® SPORT Protein
1. Best Peanut Butter Flavoured Organic Protein Powder: PBfit All-Natural Organic Peanut Butter Powder
For all you PB&J fans or those of you who love to slap peanut butter onto their food for a yummy snack, this is for you!
PBfit All-Natural Organic Peanut Butter Powder uses real roasted pressed peanuts to bring in the authentic peanut-butter experience, without the added calories!
About Organic PBfit
Organic PBfit is a USDA and NSF certified product that uses freshly roasted and pressed peanuts, which are grown in high-quality properly maintained soil without any synthetic fertilizers. This process ensures that PBfit peanut butter powder contains 87% less fat and ⅓ of the calories of regular peanut butter.
You can easily substitute your regular peanut butter with Organic PBfit with zero guilt!
What it Contains:
The serving size of 2tbsp (16g) of the powder contains 8gm of protein. They are made of 3 simple ingredients:
- Organic peanuts
- Organic Coconut palm sugar
The manufacturers recommend mixing 2tbsp of the powder in 1.5 tbsp of water to make a smooth creamy blend which then can be spread or poured into any of your favorite smoothies or foods.
- NSF certified gluten-free
- Delicious taste
- 87% less fat than regular peanut butter
- Certified organic by the UDAF
- Non-GMO verified
Summary: Organic PBfit All-Natural Peanut Butter powder is a great choice for those who want the natural protein goodness of peanuts without the added calories and fat of regular peanut butter.
2. Best Low-Sugar Organic Protein Powder: Garden of Life Meal Replacement: Organic Raw Plant-Based Protein Powder
Raw Organic Meal is a great choice for diabetics and for those who consciously reduce their sugar intake for health reasons.
Their protein powder has combined 20g per scoop of clean, vegan protein from 13 raw sprouted ingredients with greens, healthy fats, enzymes, gram fiber, and 21 vitamins and minerals.
All this goodness coupled with less than 1g of sugar! With the addition of 1.5 billion CFU probiotics and enzymes for better digestion, it is also easy on the stomach.
About Raw Organic Meal
Raw Organic Meal is an organic meal-on-the-go that uniquely combines multiple Garden of Life products in one complete meal replacement.
They are a Certified USDA Organic and Non-GMO Project Verified protein, that is soy-free, dairy-free, and tree nut-free. They have no gluten, fillers, and additional artificial sweeteners, colors, or preservatives.
What it Contains:
The serving size of 36g (1 scoop) gives you 20g of protein. The protein is obtained from 13 different sprouted seeds, along with:
- Dietary Fiber – 3g
- Total Sugars – less than 1g
- Organic fruit and vegetable blend that provides vitamins and minerals
The manufacturers recommend mixing 1 scoop of the powder with 8oz of cold water. It’s delicious with unsweetened almond milk.
- Vegan, non-dairy, soy-free, tree nut-free
- Certified gluten-free by NSF
- Certified Informed-Choice Approved by Sport
- Sugars less than 1g
Summary: Raw Organic Meal is a complete organic protein meal replacement that can be a great option for those not wanting to increase their sugar intake.
3. Best Organic Protein Blend: Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein + Superfoods Powder, Vanilla Bean
Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein & Superfoods powder is our choice for the best protein blend because it merges protein sourced from peas, rice, and chia seeds with the goodness of 50 organic superfoods ranging from veggies, grasses, herbs, berries, sprouts, and ancient grains.
The yummy vanilla flavor just adds to its overall appeal.
About Orgain Organic Protein & Superfoods Powder
Orgain products are all USDA certified organic, gluten-free, non-GMO, and made without any soy or artificial ingredients.
Rice protein has all the essential amino acids in sufficient amounts except lysine (only 2.4%). So to achieve the needed 51mg/g, they have added pea protein which has 5.9% which is more than adequate (2).
It is also a good source of food-based vitamin B6 and C, iron, riboflavin, thiamin, and pantothenic acid. With ingredients like turmeric. cinnamon, and berries, it offers antioxidants as well.
What it Contains:
The serving size of 2 scoops (51g) contains 21g of protein. There are about 18 servings per container and 160 calories per serving.
It also contains 5g of dietary fiber and 1g of total sugars.
- Certified Vegan, soy-free
- 50 organic superfoods blended in
- No added sugars or artificial ingredients
- Good flavor
Summary: Orgain Organic Protein & Superfoods powder has a perfect blend of plant-based protein with fiber and essential vitamins and minerals of 50 superfoods making it a wholesome meal supplement.
4. Best Tasting Organic Protein Powder: KOS Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder, Vanilla
When it comes to taste, you don’t need to look further from KOS Organic protein powder.
This plant-based, vegan protein powder has managed to bag a gold medal for ‘Consumer Choice – Weight Loss Product’ by “Delicious Living” in March 2020. Its award-winning flavor is created by a fusion of organic vanilla, Himalayan salt, organic coconut milk, a dash of stevia & monk fruit.
About KOS Protein Powder
KOS Organic Protein Powder uses USDA and CCOF certified ingredients made completely in Southern California, to make their gluten-free, soy, and dairy-free products.
It is not only delicious but jam-packed with essential vitamins and minerals, and fiber support. The protein powder also contains a proprietary digestive enzyme blend to maximize absorption.
What it Contains:
The serving size of 2 scoops (37g) contains 20g of plant-based protein and 160 calories. It also includes 3gm of sugar and dietary fiber of 1g. The container provides 30 servings.
The manufacturers recommend adding 2scoops of the powder to cold water to make shakes or add to smoothies or snacks.
- Yummy Vanilla flavor
- Dairy, soy, gluten-free
- Vegan and USDA organic
- Made in a GMP certified facility
Summary: KOS Organic Plant Protein powder is an award-winning blend of protein, enzymes, and dietary fiber infused with delicious, organic vanilla flavor.
5. Best High Fiber Organic Protein Powder: Vega One Organic Meal Replacement Plant-Based Protein Powder, French Vanilla
Vega One® is all about fresh organic plant-based protein sources. Their organic meal replacement protein powder is sourced from pea protein, organic sunflower seed, and organic pumpkin seed.
The unique feature is its high fiber content, which helps in maintaining satiety. This increases the feeling of fullness and lowers the need to eat, ultimately helping in weight loss.
About Vega One® Organic Protein Powder
Vega One® is a USDA organic protein powder that is manufactured in a GMP certified facility which is third party audited to ensure the highest quality. They produce non-GMO products that are gluten-free and completely vegan.
They use no added sugars, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Their protein is sourced from organic pea protein, organic sunflower seed protein, and organic pumpkin seed protein, with no grains.
Organic flaxseed and organic chia seed powder provide high fiber content and essential Omega-3 ALA, which helps in digestion and has a positive impact on cardiovascular disease (3).
What it Contains:
The serving size of 1 scoop (38g) gives 20g of protein and 140 calories per serving. They provide 18 servings per container.
It also includes:
- Dietary fiber – 6g
- Omega-3 ALA – 500mg
- 2 billion CFUs bacillus coagulans as probiotics to help with digestion
- Vitamins – A, B1-6, C, K, D and minerals like iron
Manufacturers recommend mixing a serving of Vega One® with 1 ½ cups ice-cold water, non-dairy beverage, or juice or blending it into a smoothie. They even suggest using it for baking by swapping Vega One® for 1/8 to 1/4 of the flour in sweet baking recipes.
- GMP certified facility and third party audited
- High dietary fiber content
- Non-GMO, USDA organic, vegan verified
- Gluten, soy, and dairy-free
Summary: Vega One® Organic Protein Powder has all the goodness of plant-based protein with a high fiber content to help in weight loss and probiotics to help with digestion.
6. Best Overall Organic Protein Powder: Performance Lab® SPORT Protein
Performance Lab® has once again hit the jackpot with the SPORT Protein powder. It features Oryzatein®, the world’s first patented and organic protein powder made from whole brown rice grain.
A proprietary process of natural enzymes and low heat is applied to the rice to obtain its high-quality protein with leucine, one of the BCAAs, and the only one that can stimulate muscle growth on its own.
Research proves that rice protein is on par with whey protein with respect to positive gains in muscle thickness, body composition, and upper- and lower-body strength (4).
About Performance Lab® SPORT Protein
SPORT Protein powder provides a 100% plant-based protein alternative from their patented brown rice protein.
Their GMP-certified facility tests the product for banned ingredients and ensures no artificial additives are present and everything is completely organic.
The product is enhanced with probiotic Bacillus coagulans that improves protein absorption. It is naturally flavored with organic cocoa, vanilla bean, and Ceylon cinnamon.
What it Contains:
2 scoops (30g) as the serving size, contains 20g of protein and a total of 100 calories. Each container provides 20 servings.
It also includes a dietary fat of 1g and total sugars of 1g. An added benefit is its low sodium content (23mg) from Himalayan Pink Salt. It contains tree nuts so may cause allergies. Naturally sweetened by organic yacon root, monk fruit, and stevia leaf.
They suggest mixing 2 scoops with 8-12 oz of water. Take it 2-3 hours prior to or immediately after training or competition.
- Non-GMO and non-irradiated
- Soy, gluten, egg, dairy, and peanut-free
- No synthetic additives and artificial coloring and sweeteners
- Tested for banned substances
- Low sodium content
Summary: Transparent Lab® SPORT Protein powder provides high-quality protein from Oryzatein® which is protein sourced from whole brown rice grain. This is on par with whey protein.
Who Benefits from Organic Protein Powders?
Taking protein supplements can be useful in many ways. Although our daily diets may provide us with the basic daily requirement of protein, there are circumstances where boosting your dietary intake with protein will be beneficial. They are:
1. For young athletes – Teen athletes will require more protein in their diet than their non-athletic peers since their bodies are still growing and therefore would be benefited from protein powders.
2. Those with injuries – Those recovering from injuries or athletes with sports injuries can benefit from an extra amount of protein in their diet.
We know that protein is essential for building enzymes that are required for the essential functions of cellular reactions and tissue development. The restoration of muscle mass and muscle strength is enhanced with protein intake (5), (6).
3. Those looking to optimize their workouts – The minimum daily requirement of protein can be easily achieved by your normal diet. But, if you’re looking into following any exercise program, like weight training in order to bulk up your muscles, then the protein requirement increases.
A 1.2-1.7g of protein per kg body weight is recommended for those wanting to build muscles, and taking a protein powder supplement is the easiest and safest way to do that (7).
4. For vegans and vegetarians – Vegetarians and vegans won’t be benefited from animal or fish protein, milk protein, and in some cases even egg protein sources.
So, organic protein powders are uniquely designed to combine all the essential amino acids needed from different plant sources into one convenient mix.
Summary: Protein powder supplements are useful for muscle repairing, muscle building, and weight loss. Organic plant-based protein powder is especially beneficial for vegans.
Dosages and Instructions for Organic Protein Powders
Typically, most manufacturers recommend taking 20-40g of protein powder per day, and for good reason. Research shows that to be roughly the ideal amount needed to build muscle mass and promote body fat loss (8), (9).
There are varying suggestions regarding when to take protein powder supplements. Some recommend before a workout routine, some just after the workout.
Technically, the timing of supplementing depends on your fitness goals and needs. Whether you’re aiming for muscle repair, losing weight, or muscle building, the timing may change.
- For weight loss: High-protein diets can actually increase the feeling of fullness and curb appetite by increasing the appetite-reducing hormones (12), (13). So it’s safe to assume that taking protein powder supplements between meals or just throughout the day will help reduce the tendency to snack (14).
- For muscle repair: Many studies reveal that better muscle recovery and performance is achieved when the protein supplement is combined with carbs during or after the exercise (15). They suppress the rise of plasma proteins linked to myofibril damage and reduce the feeling of soreness.
- To build muscles: When it comes to muscle growth and building, the timing of supplements is a bit more ambiguous. Research suggests that 15-60 minutes after exercise, called the “anabolic window” would be the ideal time to supplement in order to stimulate significant increases in muscle protein synthesis (16).
- For preventing muscle loss: After the age of 30, studies have shown that adults lose 3-8% of their muscle mass per decade, making them more prone to fractures (17).
It is recommended that taking roughly 20-30g of high-quality protein per meal will help prevent or slow down muscle loss due to aging in older individuals (18).
Summary: The dosage and timing of protein powder supplementation depend on health needs and goals. For muscle recovery, it is more effective if taken along with carbs.
The Risks and Dangers of Taking Organic Protein Powders
When we take into account organic protein powders, they are catered to those with vegan and vegetarian lifestyles. So those with dairy allergies can comfortably consume these products.
Yet, those with nut allergies have to be careful as many of these products contain nuts which are a rich plant-based source of proteins. Consuming protein in high doses, in general, can result in the following:
Suffice to say, it is best to not overdo it.
Summary: Those with grain or nut allergies should be cautious when choosing the kind of powder they take since many plant-based protein powders contain nuts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Will plant-based protein powder harm the kidneys?
The kidney is the organ that removes the waste created during protein synthesis. So naturally, there has been a misconception that consuming too much protein will strain and ultimately damage the kidneys. However, these claims are not backed by sufficient evidence.
In fact, in a review of more than 74 studies, it was concluded that there is no reason to restrict protein intake in healthy individuals (19).
Interestingly, a recent study published in the American Journal of Kidney Diseases in 2020, revealed that a plant-based protein diet actually has a beneficial effect on the progression of kidney disease and prevention of chronic kidney disease, compared to its meat counterpart (20).
Taking this into account, it may not be off the mark to say that plant-based protein powders could be more kidney-friendly than we think.
Can organic protein powders help in weight loss?
That would be a definite yes! Proteins are known to increase the feelings of fullness, for a longer period of time.
This helps to control one’s appetite. Proteins have a high thermic effect, which essentially means that the amount of calorie burn that occurs during the digestion and metabolism of protein is high (21).
The Final Note
Proteins are a very versatile nutrient. They are essential for building and repairing muscles and are capable of so much more!
Plant protein has an advantage over animal protein as it is rich in fiber content and is also easier to digest.
With the ever-growing need to lead healthier lifestyles, there is a steady move towards vegan and vegetarian alternatives in supplements. The health industry has definitely met the challenge by developing newer and innovative methods to formulate these supplements.
When it comes to organic protein powder supplements, the focus is to use whole organic ingredients and combine plant sources that provide all 9 of the essential amino acids needed for the human body.
The important thing to do, as with all nutritional supplements, is to consider what you hope to accomplish and then make a selection.
With so many brands around, the choices are endless. We hope that by our list, it will be a lot easier for you to make an informed decision according to your health needs.